Patients at Jackson Orthodontics range in age from young children to senior citizens, with many different orthodontic concerns that vary in severity. Dr. Furlong is sensitive to the unique needs of each person, and her recommendations are based on each individual’s orthodontic needs and personal preferences.
We love to make orthodontics fun for patients, whether they’re young or just young at heart. We have video games, a selfie-station, iPads, and even snacks available for all of our guests. We have fun theme days, a rewards program, and contests for prizes on Facebook that everyone can enter. The icing on the cake is always a beautiful smile!
Treatment for Children
While there is no exact age for children to begin orthodontic treatment, the American Association of Orthodontists recommends visiting the orthodontist around age seven.
Dr. Furlong and the American Association of Orthodontists recommend that children have an orthodontic evaluation by age seven. Most orthodontic problems can be identified at this time, as children will have a mix of baby and permanent teeth. Most orthodontic issues can be corrected more effectively while the jaw is still growing, and serious complications can be avoided when treated at the right time.
Dr. Furlong may use early treatment to:
- Correct and guide the growth of your child's jaw to help the permanent teeth come in straight
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correct thumb sucking and help improve minor speech problems
When orthodontic treatment is done in stages, it's often called Phase I and Phase II.
- Phase I is often done while there are still some baby teeth, and the permanent teeth are forming. The goals of Phase I are to improve the bite and make space for the developing teeth.
- Phase II is done when all the permanent teeth are in, and the goal is to correct the alignment of the teeth and bite.
Orthodontics for Teens
While braces may have had a bad reputation in the past, today's braces make it easy for teens to look good and feel good! When it comes to treatment for teens, we believe in positive reinforcement. Our teen patients are rewarded when they follow instructions and informed about what can happen when compliance isn’t good.
Dr. Furlong and our team offer several types of braces and orthodontic appliances that are more comfortable and better looking than ever before, including small, comfortable, hygienic metal brackets for those who like to get colors, as well as clear brackets and Invisalign Teen® clear aligners.
Your treatment time will depend on how quickly your body responds to treatment and how much work is needed to give you the show-stopping smile you expect. The most important thing you can do to keep your treatment on track is to follow all the instructions given by Dr. Furlong, and contact our Jackson orthodontic office if you have trouble with anything. We’ll give you all the tools you need for success, and we expect nothing less.
Orthodontics for Adults
Adult orthodontic treatment can be more complex in many ways, but it's never too late to do it! Getting orthodontic treatment as an adult can make your teeth healthier, your smile brighter, and your confidence soar.
Dr. Furlong and our team take a multidisciplinary approach to our adult patients’ treatment. We will work with you, your general dentist, and any other specialists to ensure that your orthodontic treatment is successful.
Why is orthodontics for adults different?
- Adult jaws are no longer growing, so it limits what type of bite correction we can achieve without surgery.
- Adult teeth may have increased or uneven wear and tear, especially if the alignment is off.
- Adult mouths may have crowns, bridges, and other restorations that require special consideration.
During your initial consultation at our Jackson orthodontic office, Dr. Furlong will talk with you about your expectations and goals, and make sure that your treatment fits your lifestyle. While some adult patients don’t mind the look of traditional metal braces, we offer several cosmetic options for those who do, including clear brackets and Invisalign® clear aligners.
As working adults ourselves, we understand that your life runs on a tight schedule. That’s why we make sure to see all patients on time and offer a flexible schedule with appointment times outside of normal work hours.